The Medical Assisting Program is designed to prepare students to become competent, entry-level medical assistants and/or medical office assistants.
Course work provides students with the knowledge, skills, and behaviors required to perform administrative, clinical, and laboratory procedures. Students who complete the program should have the necessary skills to become employed in a variety of health care facilities such as physicians’ offices, health maintenance organizations, health departments and hospitals. Upon successful completion, students are awarded with a Medical Assisting Diploma.
Students who complete the program will be prepared for a variety of positions and jobs including:
- Physicians’ practices
- Hospitals s & Clinics
- Urgent Care Centers
- Certified Medical Assistant (providing graduate obtains certification from AAMA)
- Specimen Collector
- Medical Assistant (non-certified)
- Lab Assistant
- Patient Service Representative
- Admissions Associate
- Patient Coordinator
- Front Office Assistant
- Front Office Receptionist
- Healthcare Claims Representative
- Customer Service Representative in Healthcare
- Front Desk Scheduler
- Medical Office- Check In/Out Representative
- Medical Receptionist
- Nursing Assistant or Nurse’s Aide
- Also will prepare students for Medical office positions as well (listed below)
“Brookstone College has helped me to prepare for my career of choice as a medical office assistant with the help of the teachers who teach you all of the things you need to know. The staff as well who guide you through the process of your career. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely choose Brookstone College!”
Rasheeda Mason, graduate of the MA program
Resources to assist you with finding positions and career placements:
- Career Preparation: Professional development classes cover various subjects including resume writing, interviewing skills as well as mock interviews etc. Resume writing assistance from career placement coordinators are available to all students as well as special seminars on career related subjects such as effective job search strategies and networking.
- Career planning meetings: Assistance with career planning is available to all students during their tenure at Brookstone College. Other areas of emphasis and coaching include building additional skills, work and volunteer experience while attending classes.
- Certification: For applicable programs, certification review classes are also offered to students. Support is available for helping students obtain additional certifications as well as assisting students with registering for the certifications.
- Job Placement & Networking: Students and graduates are welcome to take advantage of Brookstone’s free job placement services. We provide resources and opportunities to network with potential employers as well as graduates. Networking includes networking / organization events, job fairs and calls and visits to prospective employers.
“I have utilized Brookstone College student interns for our Medical Practice and have been pleased by their extraordinary performance thus far. I recently hired two of their graduates as part of my full time staff. They are both performing well beyond what is expected of someone at this level. I look forward in continuing our partnership with Brookstone College”.
-Victoria Stremcha, Administrator, Greensboro Ob-Gyn Associates
Specific Workplaces that hire out of this program in the Triad area:
- Bethany Medical Center
- Physicians Home Visit
- High Point Family Practice
- Doctor’s Express
- Triad Internal Medicine
- Alpha Medical Clinic
- Palladium Family Practice
- Fast Med
- Randolph Medical Associates
- Graham Personnel
- Cornerstone Healthcare
- Wake Forest Baptist- Temporary Division
- Greensboro OB-GYN Associates
- Salem Neurological
- Triad Adult and Pediatrics
- Regional Physicians
- Cone Health- Radiology Department
- Callwood Cardiology
Graduates of Brookstone College’s Medical Assisting program are eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination administered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) provided other eligibility criteria are met as well. For more information, visit www.aama-ntl.org and click on, “Become a CMA”.
Learn more about the employment opportunities for this program by visiting the Department of Labor’s O*Net website.
- SOC Code: 31-9092.00 – Medical Assistants
For information on graduation rates, student debt levels, and other disclosures, visit the Medical Assisting information page.